April 30, 2011

Book report - 2

Just reread the book of stories "Rasika Raaja Thaguvaaramu Kaama??"  by Vasundhara. Vasundhara is the pen name for the couple, J.Rajagopala rao and R. Ramalakshmi.

A very moving story from that collection.
Allasani Peddana, the great telugu poet, just finishes writing "Swarochisha Manu Sambhavam" aka Manu Charitra. He is eager to dedicate the first Telugu Kavyam to Sri Krishna Devarayalu, and in on his way to Bhuvana Vijayam ( The name of SKD's court), when he meets the King mounted on his elephant. He is devastated when the King instead of inviting him as expected, postpones the reading to a later time.
Peddana returns home with a heavy heart, lamenting "Rasika raaja, thagu vaaramu kaama?", "o great literary lover, are we( author & book) not deserving your patronage?"
The next morning, the King sends a palanquin to invite Peddana to the royal court. Still stung by the rejection from the day before, Peddana decides to accept the invitiation but decides not to read the poems in the court. When he enters the chambers and the king fails to appear and greet him, he is even more resolute in his decision.
Presently, the King enters the court and requests Peddana to start reading the book. When Peddana gently refuses, the King requests it again, saying he is already sorry for the one day's delay because of his preference for the Palanquin over the elephant. Peddana is confused and asks the king why the Palanquin is superior.
Then the king replies," If I had asked you to accompany me on the elephant, how could I do justice to the greatest poet and his magnum opus, for I would not be able to carry them myself".
As a stunned Peddana, who then realizes that the King was one of the bearers of his Palanquin, opens his mouth, instead of words, the first poem of Manucharitra starts flowing, filling the court with its beauty.  

3 comments:

SLN said...

Royal patronage those days was for poets and artists. Valour was also suitably rewarded. Nowadays only SCAMMERS are patronized royally.

gopal said...

Over the years vasundhara pair wrote so many stories and won many prizes in many competetions.They wrote more than 150 stories for chandamama itself.They are famous for bhethalakathalu.But I always thought they are like dasari narayanarao who directed many movies of not much quality.This wasthe only one story whic I liked.
For rereading I suggest RAJARAJU,PRATHAPARUDREEYAM.

gopal said...

I disagree to agree or should I say I agree to disagree with you on your words.Iam an ardent follower of telugu literature whatever may be the quality.The authors u mentioned wrote the novels are stories which were classice by birth.Namini.satyam sankaramanchi,jenda kathalu etc are a few exceptions.Can the list end if u mention great writers names before 1975.kodavati,peddibhotla,racha,beena,madhuranthakam.kommuri, muppalla,ghandikota,tripura,kalipatnam,palagummi--------.
After 1980 I laugh at famous writers like Yandamoori and malladi to name a few. Even yaddanapoodi and koduri dished out better saili than them.
I already said i don't mean to demean the present lot.This generation has got versatile ways of showcasing their talent.our entertainment was literature,music,movies restricted.
now u have pc tvs travel etc.A captain is as worthy as his team. Now the prominence of telugu is less. Way back in 20th century sheperds used to sing jenda pi kapi raju, bava eppudu.Can anybody ,except for some telugu BA students ,understand the meaning of those deergha samasams nowadays.
Telugu may not become a dead language but the future does'ntlook bright if some drastic steps are not taken fast.Iam not pessimistic but realistic.People advice me why read literature.write poetry and stories .u should learn medical transcription and make some money.I agree people like them were always there but percentage is more now.Finally as narasimha said writers at present are too highbrowic are mediocre . No half measures.