April 16, 2011

Birds of Ragihalli Lake


After a while, I went birding this AM to Ragihalli Lake in the Bannerghatta area. Apart from the birds, I got to ride in 2 different mid level cars- a Skoda and a Civic: I think I will rate the Skoda better in riding comfort. Deepa, my energetic neighbor, had organized this trip and we were a group of six.

The whole reserve forest had a dried out look thanks to the summer days, and bird sightings were less than usual. The list:

 Drongo, Ashy
 Prinia, Ashy
 Drongo, Black
 Kite, Black
 Egret, Cattle
 Kestrel, Common
Tailor Bird, Common
 Treepie, Indian
Oriole, Eurasian Golden
Robin, Indian
Lark, Jerdon’s
Dove, Laughing
Magpie Robin, Oriental
Bush Chat, Pied
Sun Bird, Purple Rumped
Bulbul, Red Vented
Parakeet, Rose Ringed
Shikra
Bee Eater, Small Green
Dove, Spotted
Owlet, Spotted
Bulbul, White Browed
Wagtail, White Browed
Babbler, Large Gray
Drongo, White Bellied
Leafbird, Golden Fronted
Swallow, Red rumped
Pippit, Paddy field
White-Eye, Oriental

some snaps from the web:
Red rumped swallow

Gold fronted leaf bird

Kestrel in its classic hovering pose

No comments: