August 22, 2010

From student to teacher (of sorts)

In 3 of the last 6 bird watching trips, I have been drafted as a 'experienced' birder, leading groups of school kids and even adults on introductory bird trips. Considering that I started birdwatching only in January 2010, I found this pretty funny. But in those 6 months, I have  sighted and can recognize about 110 different birds in and around Bangalore, which ain't too bad. Of course, I can only recognize them, whereas the experts usually know all about them (Latin names, feeding/breeding/nesting habits etc). 

Yesterday too, a couple of others and I led a group of school children to an early AM bird watching trip. There were several nice things about that trip:

1. The trip was to Gandhi Krishi Vignana Kendra (popularly known as GKVK), which is an agricultural university in Bangalore. If you loves greenery, this is the place for you. Stretched over an enormous area (3 KM wide, 6 KM long), this place is full of trees or planted areas. Satellite snap below- notice the big contrast with the urban area around it. Thank God people had the sense to make our universities green havens with wide boundaries

2. The kids belong to a school run by an NGO called Parikrama in Bangalore. They run several schools in Bangalore for low income families' kids. They are doing a grand job with these children, considering that they are disciplined, articulate, good with English and attentive to details. 

3. These children belong to the Nature Club of the school. So it was a trip not just about birds, but plants, insects etc. The kids were genuinely interested and this sort of outing is probably going to be a regular thing. Consider the fact that the kids took the extra effort to be at the place by 7 AM, all bathed and dressed for school instead of lounging around in bed till the last moment! If I choose to, I can get to be a regular part of school nature club activities, which for some reason I am really liking.

All in all, bird watching is opening up new positive experiences for me. I recommend it strongly to all in the family.

GKVK:

No comments: