May 3, 2010

Birthday Visit







Well, yesterday we had Durga pinni and Srikanth come over for Madhu's second birthday - after marriage I mean. And we had a good time, albeit in a small group.


SSK's latest look being, by the way, to be now shorn of his young and promising moustache – thus somehow making likenesses to his mena-mama come out quite remarkably...

Anyway, apart from the full round of telephonic b'day wishes bestowed upon her since morning by family members (thanks in no small measure due to my SMS, may I say), Madhu also ended up with several gift items as follows…
A large balloon from her husband (who couldn't quite come to terms with her persistent request to have the same on her 30th year);…
A bouquet of yellow roses (very nice they were), surprise-despatched by her family favorites - brother-in-law & sister;…
A teddy-bear with a b’day chime (yes I didn’t type that in error, she did get one) purchased by SSK on his mother’s instruction!;…
And finally a nice big meal that included kachori, mamidikaya pappu, aratikaya kura, perugu pacchadi, gongura pacchadi, appadams and maida cake – cooked mainly by amma, assisted by us both.

Hmm, I do hope she wouldn’t get a bit spoiled by the largesse of gifts – but can definitely report that she enjoyed the day – thanks to you all, family members… So, here are some pics taken on the occasion for everyone to see...

5 comments:

SVN said...

well done sasi,but lunch is not that full and by the way what is kachori?any way we hope srikanth
conveyed our greetings.i telephoned him.

Poonam Tripathi Singampally said...

Good one bhaiya!! :)

SVS said...

Thanks Viswam babai - Srikanth did convey it...
And true, we were trying to be a little light on the lunch menu compared to what mother would have usually made! - mainly due to Madhu's diet control targets nowadays...

And Kachori - it is a savoury popular with Bengalis; somewhat like Samosa, except that it is circular in shape, and the spiced filling is mainly made from cooked dal puree instead of vegetables...

If you chance to go to Calcutta (like I did when Anna was at IIM-C), you would find a Kachori & Roshogulla wala at every roadside corner...

So then babai, why don't you come over here so that I can make the same for you, pinni and the kids? Fortunately this not being a sweet, I can do it with a somewhat free conscience... :-)

SLN said...

OIL!!!!!!! Taboo again.

SVS said...

Well, well you're right babai - Oil it does contain, and in quite liberal measure I am afraid...

So with the Singampalli's special heritage running so strong in Viswam babai, what is left?!! Maybe a watermelon hmm?, or some seema chintakaya? (particularly mention that as I saw some recently, in a vegetable mkt here - probably the last I saw this all-natural village delicacy was on the tree in Kavali court compound, playing with Seenu)...

Please advise... :)