March 8, 2010

How Aditya saved me time & money

In preparation for the pooja next week, I started digging up my old silver and started polishing it.

I was trying to teach Aditya about tarnish and I showed and explained it to him. He goes, "yes, I know. There is an experiment called Save My Silver, in the science experiments book." I was curious and I checked it out. The method worked brilliantly and I ended up hardly spending any time in the cleaning. In fact, there is a product I was planning to buy to do this, which apparently, could be accomplished with few household items.

Any one know what this method it? I did not, till I read it.

5 comments:

SLN said...

well I heard that toothpaste can clean silver.
I don't know.
And Sodium bicarbonate is a good general household cleaner but I think there is some rection between silver and NaHCO3. So enquire before you venture.
Amma says that ash is used to polish silver but I think you should sieve it to avoid scratches.
Of course commercial preps must be available.
Is there something else?

gopal said...

something by name peethambaram is available here which cleans and jamshshines silver

Krupa Singampalli said...

It is Soda Bicarb or baking soda, except it utilizes electrolytic actions as well.

Here is the procedure.

Line a bowl with aluminum foil. Boil water and add baking soda. Put silver items such that they touch the foil and pour the boiling water such that they are fully submerged. Silver sulfide breaks down and forms aluminum sulfide and you silver is clean after 10 minutes. Just wipe off with a clean cloth. This method does not remove any silver, unlike silver polishes.

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/homeExpts/tarnish.html

Poonam Tripathi Singampally said...

Wow, I must try it!! Do you mean pooja for Ugadi?

Krupa Singampalli said...

No, for rudrabhishekam tomorrow.