After test driving it for a week, I give it a rating 4/5 for what it is trying to do, be a replacement to a plain and simple book.
Positives:
Easy on eyes for reading -- did not feel any extra tiring than a regular book
Decent page size - about the size of a small paperback
Excellent battery life
Easy to add clippings, comments and bookmarks - a nice feature consolidates all your highlights for a quick recollection of key points
Instant gratification - Buy a book and start reading it in seconds, better than a bookstore or waiting for the book to ship
In-built dictionary - no more searching for meanings
Books backed up to your Amazon account
Negatives:
Monochrome screen
Not all books supported
Not very easy to "flip" to a page
Having to be careful, especially in the "throne room"
Having to shut off during takeoff and landing -- No electronic devices
Expensive books - Can't buy books for 25c at the local library, $1 at the used bookstore and no eBay
Easy to overspend - impulsive buys
Bad text-to-speech : very monotonous
Supports only audible.com audiobooks
Books backed up to your Amazon account
This is my quick assessment based on the two books I read so far. I like the fact that I can easily change books and go from some serious reading to some pulp fiction with a click. I also like the amount of luggage space saved when I travel. I just don't like having to buy books at $10 a pop:-(
4 comments:
How heavy is it? How durable is it (waterproof? shatterproof? scratchproof?)? But not very impressive overall, it seems. Not being able to flip to a page seems like a big weakness- glad that you can at least bookmark. They should perhaps add the smell of books to it and make the page more yellowed than a stark white...else, it doesn't even come close:-)
Haven't yet tried to drop it!!!! Unless you are a maven gadget geek, I would wait a year or so for better display technology.
For me personally, the compactness is great, but it has ways to go before fully replacing a book.
I see the future of eBook readers as iSlate.
you take a book you read the first few pages ,you can no longer stand the suspense ,go to the last page ,and you read it in bits and pieces with no respect for chronology.that is the pleasure.Before meeting my FIL(SRM)i used to think that i was the only one who reads book like that.
FIL = Father In Law
SRM = Singampalli Ramamoorthy
Post a Comment