January 18, 2010

Busy long weekend in Mumbai and Pune


Flew: Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore
Drove: Mumbai-Pune-Simhagadh-Mumbai (350-400 KM)
Glided: 25 Min of flight time
Ran: 21 Km (2 Hrs 07 min) in the Mumbai Marathon

Gliding was a particularly rewarding experience, as I was not confident I could do it after a 2 year gap. But some practice on the ground showed that I had not forgotten the skills and I had a fantastic flight.

The running was great too, as they changed the route to include the Bandra-Worli Sea link, which is quite majestic in the misty morning seas, with just the sounds of the sea and of pounding feet. Snap of the bridge below:


3 comments:

Krupa Singampalli said...

Nice view and excellent picture.
Would you say gliding is like bicycling? Once you learn it, you never forget it?

SLN said...

that looks like a painting!

Krupakar said...

Similar and different. Similar because both are elegant machines driven completely by bio forces. Different because gliding is somewhat more complicated, and an adventure sport after all. For eg, a fellow pilot died in a mid-air collision last year in exactly the same spot where I was this weekend.

Flying is good, but flying well (good take-off, good flight and good landing) makes it a special pleasure. So I was glad that I could remember all my lessons and reprise them that day.