February 14, 2013

A ramble in aphasia

That was a title of an O Henry story. A successful lawyer with a life like clockwork and overwork suffers from an attack of Aphasia - a complete loss of memory, and finds himself in a strange city, with a large wad of money in his pocket. He assumes the name of Edward Pinkhammer and starts a life of unfettered freedom, encountering the exotic life of the city, including an old sweetheart who refuses to believe in his malady. In fact, everyone is a skeptic about aphasia, except him, the victim. As one man says: "I put nine out of ten of 'em down as frauds. A man gets sick of his business and his folks and wants to have a good time. He skips out somewhere, and when they find him he pretends to have lost his memory - don't know his own name, and won't even recognize the strawberry mark on his wife's left shoulder. Aphasia! Tut! Why can't they stay at home and forget?" 

A couple of weeks later, he is discovered by his wife and his doctor. Will they succeed in restoring his memory? Does he want them to? It is a classic, and I suggest you read it if you haven't already (http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/RambApha.shtml).

I was reminded of this story, when a few weeks ago, I had my wisdom teeth removed under full anesthesia. As I lay back in the chair, the doc stuck an IV into my vein and said the worst was over. I remember asking him what was in the IV, but I don't remember the answer. The last thing I was wondering about was whether I should ask the doc if his middle name was Spock, since his first and last names were Kirk and Scott.

After that, the next thing I remember is waking up on the couch in the house, with Poonam talking animatedly about medicine schedules and Raghav interrupting with his voluble 'Nanna? Nanna!'. It is only later that I realized how treacherous my memory was- the powerful anesthetic had  deleted several events of the afternoon from my brain. After that question to the doc, I apparently:

- chatted some more with the doc and slipped under
- after the operation, greeted Poonam in the recovery room
- chatted and joked with her about something
- listened to the doc talking about the medicine schedule
- was wheeled down to the door, talking all the while
- left on my own feet to the car and got in
- got home and lay down on the coach, eyes open
- woke up!

It was indeed a ramble in aphasia. I was wondering if I should start tattooing telephone numbers on my body, until I checked with the doc and found this to be a fairly common reaction to the anesthesia. Whew! Shakespeare had it right: "O true apothecary!Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die." (The last sentence doesn't apply in my case, of course). What potent drugs doctors deal with, indeed.

It is ironic that a few weeks later, it is Poonam and Raghav who have skipped out on a ramble of their own (of-Asia, not Aphasia, if you will), leaving me stranded here. So like the man in the story, I ask: "Tut! Why can't they stay at home and forget?"

8 comments:

Gowri said...

It is not aphasia .Aphasia is inability to talk.It is amnesia.Under anaesthesia you lose track of time unlike sleep..

SVS said...

Apart from the interest generated by the subject matter itself - splendid piece of entertaining prose anna!

I would have been as alarmed if not more, at the effects produced by the anesthetic, if I had undergone the same - apart from of course the bizarre-ness and humour!

By the way, which play or poem of Shakespeare is the quote from? :)

Krupa Singampalli said...

@Sasanna, I really wish you posted more on the blog.

I really miss connecting more with the folks in India and seeing comments / posts from them on this blog makes my entire day!!

My sincere request to Sasanna, Ranga Babai, Gopal Babai, Atta and Viswam Babai...

It would be great if more of the kiddos joined in too...shout out to Kanth, Lavi, Manas, Swathi and Summi....

SSV, Mruduls and Vidya are in "responsible" positions...so.....

Krupakar said...

Thanks Sasi:) The quote is from Romeo and Juliet. Romeo, thinking Juliet to be dead when she is actually not, swallows a quick acting poison given by an apothecary, says these words, and dies. Juliet wakes up, finds the truth, and follows suit, providing the the template for countless love tragedy books, movies and plays.

@Krupa- I concur completely. Sasi has promised to do an interesting series on the indigenous plants that he has lovingly nurtured at the Habsiguda house. Still waiting! It has been so long since Gopal babai and Saradattha have posted. And SRN's case book is showing a big gap.

SVS said...

Anna - I guessed as much... But not having read Romeo & Juliet in the original anytime, was not sure of the quote in classical OE.

Krupa - Thanks for the special request :)... should & will definitely put efforts to post more now!

Reg the writeup on plants & trees - As anna wanted, I've been contemplating it for several months.... But at the behest of both the senior bloggers, I must really start it now! Perhaps I will type up a few of them to see how they come up, and start posting the series soon.

SLN said...

Do it now!

Mrudula Singampalli said...

Yet another jab.....

Mrudula Singampalli said...

Do it yesterday