November 27, 2011

Stanford Prison Experiment

In my random ramblings across the web, reading about the psychological explanations for ragging, I came across the Stanford Prison Experiment and Milgram Experiment. I was familiar with the Milgram experiment from our MBA leadership class used to help us understand the influence of authority but I learned about the Stanford experiment for the first time.

Here is what Dr.Zimbardo, the professor who ran the Stanford Prison Experiment says about the experiment.
"What happens when you put good people in an evil place? Does humanity win over evil, or does evil triumph? These are some of the questions we posed in this dramatic simulation of prison life conducted in the summer of 1971 at Stanford University.
How we went about testing these questions and what we found may astound you. Our planned two-week investigation into the psychology of prison life had to be ended prematurely after only six days because of what the situation was doing to the college students who participated. In only a few days, our guards became sadistic and our prisoners became depressed and showed signs of extreme stress. "

Here is the website for the program. http://www.prisonexp.org/ It is a fascinating read.

I admit I am no psychologist, however, I question one aspect of the experiment. Are the people truly "good people" or is there a self selection mechanism involved here?Are the volunteers already those predisposed to violence attracted by the word "prison experiment"? Is it the cause for police brutality, Abu Ghriab abuses and police encounters? And are those already depressed that sign up for more abuse?

We are making great strides in understanding human body, but we are woefully behind in understanding the brain and psychology. But how ethical are such experiments, even if performed on a voluteer basis, when the psychological implications are unpredictable? There are control mechanisms for drug trials, where unproven drugs are given when all other treatments fail. What are the control mechansims for these experiments?


3 comments:

Krupakar said...

The real question is: why are US prisons so evil that they have such a profound effect on 'normal' people? It is supposed to be a correctional facility. For eg, you dont hear about that kind of physical and psychological violence in Indian prisons. Leads one to think that the fundamental flaw is the way the prison system works, predisposing an inmate to more violence and further corruption of the soul.

For eg, when even psychologists term prison an 'evil place', are they not indulging in broad judgments that are antithetical to their own professional tenets?

SLN said...

did any of you guys see the movie " The Experiment"?

Krupa Singampalli said...

No, I did not see the movie. I saw the movie ads etc but I did not realize it was related to this.

And I don't think this is unique to American prisons. Similar abuses are documented in prisons all over the world. They get more shock value in US. In India, we have become largely immune to police brutality and prison conditions. Giving the 3rd degree is an acceptable way of getting information out of people, and lock up deaths and encounters are simply swept under the rug.

I agree on the neutrality of the researcher. He got so involved in his role that he forgot to be objective about the whole experiment. It was stopped only when his girlfriend, who was not involved, insisted that it be shut down.