August 11, 2011

A Wound to my Amour-Propre

As I was re-reading A Study in Scarlet for a bit of light reading, I realized that there are words in Sherlock Holmes that I still don't know meanings for :-(  Here is the list to challenge the more erudite family members.

1) Sere
2) Lath
3) Bodkin
4) Bumptious
5) Minatory


6 comments:

Mrudula Singampalli said...

i know what bumptious means...proud/over-confident! Nanna used it on me once :-)

Minatory i know is menacing... possibly related to minotaur (not very sure though).

SLN said...

It should then read Minotory isn't it? It probably comes from a latin root.

Lath, as I told Krupa already, is a framework over which plastering is done--as in Lath and Plaster.

Bodkin is a sharp, hole making tool used by carpenters (kuthoosi it is called)-but then why the Luck of the Bodkins?

sere ?????

Krupakar said...

'Luck of the bodkins'- refers to bodkin as a surname, I think. I also did not know sere. Seems to be similar to sear, as in scorching.

SLN said...

Yes! it is a surname in one of the books by my all time fav author PGW.

Mrudula Singampalli said...

hmm...yes it should have been minotory, which was why i wasn't very sure...

so bokdin is contextual?? what does bodkin mean now?

Krupakar said...

Mruduls- It is not contextual. It means now what it meant earlier- a sharp long pin.