November 12, 2010

Laptop mania!!

Hello everybody,
It's thanksgiving time...its deal(s) time.
I want to get myself a nice laptop, with
1. i7 or i5 processor
2. 300-500 gb memory
3. 4gb ram (extendible upto 8gb)
4. i grade microsoft word papers, so i should be able to run windows on it..
5. good wireless LAN
I am not crazy about apple(just because it costs a 1000$).

I could think of only these specifications...are there others to consider?
Please suggest good laptops with the specifications...

9 comments:

Krupakar said...

Look for a deal on MS Office
Look for a deal on Extended Warranty
Look for a deal on AntiVirus

SRN said...

the configuration a little too advanced ?

Mrudula Singampalli said...

an i3 processor will be enough... right pdn?

SLN said...

No No! go for i5 or i7.You cannot upgrade later.
1.Microsoft offers Windows7 and MS office at discount rates for students. Look at Microsoft site.
2.Motherboard should be processor compatible(I think I need not tell you about that). Most Intel motherboards will have on-board LAN, WIFI.
3.There are plenty of free AntiVirus products available--I can suggest Avira or AVG. They are almost as good as the named and famed like Norton (more trouble than help if you do not handle properly) or McAffe.
4. What abt your seniors and roommates? Did they put in their 2 cent's worth?

Krupakar said...

Babai, that is more technical than most of us MS, MBA and IT workers can handle :-)

Mruduls, go all out with processor, memory, disk space etc. In these things, like Mr Bond would say, "Orbis non sufficit" - The World Is Not Enough!

SRN said...

vidya brought a 17inch monitor laptop.found it too heavy,returned,brought a 14"
monitor.she is still using it

Krupa Singampalli said...

17 inch is too much for portability. In my previous job, they first gave me a 17 in. I had to lug it around in a wheeler suitcase. Promptly exchanged it for a 15.

Mrudula Singampalli said...

then 14"/15" it is!! :-)

SLN said...

Didn't you get my mail?