Responding to SLN's comment here, as response is too long for a comment:
No offence taken, babai:-) I guess I have become a bit of a bore about some of these things. But my responses:
Why I quote/talk about Gandhi: Just like knowledge of nature is low, knowledge of history is also low in my generation. Other countries lionize the smallest achievements of their heroes, we tend to be critical of our rather more accomplished founders. Our incredible and unique tradition of humanists (Buddha, Ashoka, Gandhi, Rajaji etc) is only matched by our ignorance of them. Since reading habits have gone down too, there is not much scope that the younger generation would discover these histories, and instead contemporary heroes, often with clay feet. Guess I hope for some revival through such quotes. I have even benefited from his techniques, by using them in solving (touchwood) the plot dispute I faced here in Bangalore. Shades of 'Well Done, Abba'!
Why Gandhi now?: Because, with liberalization, we have 'cried havoc, and let slip the dogs of' destruction, greed and disparity in the last 15 years. You may not see it much in the town, but it is evident here. Since he spoke eloquently on these topics, guess he is more relevant now than before.
Why IIT-IIMs talk of these?: I am not sure many do! I certainly do not find too many peers with whom I can discuss these topics. I have met many semi-Gandhians in recent times, but most were not mainstream folks like IIT-IIM crowd. But I guess he would appeal to anyone with an intellectual bent, and the IIT crowd does flatter itself on that count. My own fascination was through a purely personal route, a unique combination of the Hindu, history books and too much time on my hands.
Organic farming, a western concept: Perhaps this should be called traditional Indian farming, because that is what it is. The speakers in the seminar were elderly South Indian profs with white handlebar mustaches, making statements like 'professor Sundaram has a tongue like a whip and heart of gold'. The methods were totally Indian, with cow dung+cow urine being primary ingredients. Other teachers were elderly ladies who showed us thier resplendent terrace gardens, something they have been at for the last 10-15 years. In fact, the so-called organic movement has its roots firmly in Indian and CHinese farming techniques of the past century.
Why I like organic farming: The same reason you cited: not because I have to, but because I want to, for the pleasure of it. Of course, this is completely theoritical, since I am yet to do anything concrete. Since I don't have the skills, I go to such seminars to learn. But I also want to do it as a carbon offset, which is another post.
Why I should shut up: Because I have taken to preachy and whiny posts, like this. Ok, time to zip lips.
2 comments:
come on kiddo! It was a left handed complement like. It was intended for this kind of response only--to explain why Gandhi etc.
Traditional Asian practices have been great throughout ages since we worship nature and try to blend in with nature. The west has always been greedy and has always been rushing in where the east had feared to tread.In fact, their literature, movies etc. showcase Asian philosophy when they talk of concentration, real power etc.
Unfortunately, as you said, we left all those practices and the kids hardly ever read anything beyond text books. DO NOT STOP MAN. I enjoy the preaching and the posts.
Thanks babai. Not to worry, I am not wired to take offence from family members:-) and I am too full of words to stop blogging.
Post a Comment