November 24, 2009

Long Bike Ride

This Sunday past, I took my longest cycling ride ever. I started from home at 530 AM and reached home at 12 Noon, having covered 83 KM on the cycle in the interim. It was a scenic ride through villages and pristine nature outside Bangalore. In that sense, cycling is very similar to paragliding that I used to do in Mumbai- in both cases, I am in a machine that doesn't intrude between me and the environment...no mechanized noises, no smoke...just the sound of air rushing past me.

The route was interesting also from the challenges offered: mostly undulating, with a 15 KM steep stretch on the way back that convinced me that Bangalore is a hill station! Some parts were too steep to pedal, so I had to get down and walk. I have a new found respect for the athletes who participate in the Tour De France, a 3500 KM, 21 day bike race that has a quite a bit of Alpine climbing as part of it.

Took 5 hours of biking time, which translates to an average of 16 Kmph, which isnt too bad. I am now looking forward to my next such ride, whenever that is.

7 comments:

Krupakar said...

well, aren't anyone impressed?! 83 KM is no walk in the park!

gopal said...

its not a cakewalk either.Not even a piece of cake.But you take the cake. iam very much impressed,but pressed for time.English poetry is coming.

Madhav said...

Well, i'm impressed. 16KMPH is really good. Have fun with such rides.

Krupakar said...

Thanks Babai,Madhav :-)

Madhav said...

For this thanksgiving holiday we both tried doing some fun/adventurous activities like kayaking, snorkelling and more at Catalina Island near LA, but unfortunately due to winter and thansgiving holiday, everything was closed...so bad..

Poonam Tripathi Singampally said...

Madhav please upload some snap of both of yours,and why your better half is "moun" :)

ssk said...

Hats off to yr stamina
Kuppi.