July 15, 2008
namma baagiluyalli globalization!
That means 'globalization at our doorstep' in Kannada. Today morning, we went to buy some fruits from the street vendor outside the house. The vendor quoted a steep price for highly polished apples (with tiny stickers...a web address printed on them). On querying him about their origins, he told me that they are from Washington. I asked him if I could have the local variety instead. He said that the local apples will not be in stock for a month. If I didn't like the US ones, I could have the Australian ones, apparently. In the global village, even street vendors sell imported fruits, it seems!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We shouldnot be surprised. Simla apples and Nuzvidu Rasam mangoes are available in USA and now we find reciprocation! So, they eat our apples(imported) at 20rs/one and we eat their apples at rs.20/one and all the middlemen and politicians share 25 rs/each apple.( farmers get 2 each).Now that is market economy for you.
Post a Comment