Hello everyone, it’s summer vacation for me and do you know what's my favorite summer activity? The answer to that is swimming. Earlier in the year my parents signed me up for East Bay Swim League which is a summer swim league and you can find information about it here .
When I first heard about it, I was skeptical about participating as I was not sure if I was good enough to make the team. Mom and dad strongly encouraged me to go for the try outs and in retrospect I am glad that I did.
Tryouts:
My tryouts were on March 16th. Mom and I drove to Chabot College, our practice location. I was excited to try out for the swim team. After we reached the pool I met the head coaches of the swim team I would eventually join.
The coaches Aaron and Jesse asked me some questions about myself, my experience with swimming and my hobbies. They asked me to get into the pool for a speed test. For reference,the pool is 25 yards one way.So I had to swim 50 yards,to do the speed test. I finished with a freestyle time of 72 seconds. After the test I was curious to know if I made the team and I did it.
Daily Practice:
We have practice sessions Monday- Thursday 6:00-7:30 PM. Our practice session started on April 4th and will continue until July 21st.
Season overview:
We have six meets in one season, three home meets and three away meets. However, if you get selected for champs you have to compete in a seventh meet at Chabot College[our home pool].
Types of swim meets:
There are two kinds of swim meets. They are dual meets and tri-meets. Dual meets are when only 2 teams compete with each other and during tri-meets 3 teams face off against each other.
Placing in the meets is also different,for dual meets the league gives ribbons up to eighth place,while for tri-meets it is ninth place.Even so placing at a tri-meet is harder than a dual meet
because of the fact that there are more swimmers competing in a given race.
Improvements on my times:
In 2 months I have improved my freestyle swim time by 30 seconds. I can swim 2 laps of freestyle in 40 seconds.On all the other strokes (Breaststroke,backstroke,and butterfly),I have improved my times by more than 12 seconds.
Champs Meet Selection
On 7/10/22 we received an email from the teams manager Jenny Kubicki that I had made it to the championship meet.The championship meet isn’t available for everyone teams are incredibly picky about who to send for champs which goes to show you how much I’ve improved. Our Champs meet is on 07/23/22.
What is “Champs”?
The answer to that is that champs is when the best swimmers from every team come together and compete.Making to champs isn’t easy as teams have a limit on how many they can put on the champs roster,so the selection is tough. As a result only the best swimmers get to go to compete in champs.
On my team,among my age group I have won 5 ribbons, as of 7/17/22 .In my opinion swim team is fun as it allows me to be competitive while enjoying the best parts of summer which are swimming and hanging out with my friends.I hope my team[Bay Area Dolphins] wins.
GO DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!
Arjun

3 comments:
Way to go Arjun. Hope you win or place in the champs. writing style is good though there is room for improvement. Coherence of thoughts is good. Keep it up in letters and in water.
GO ARJUN. GO. CONGRATULATIONS.
"only the best swimmers get to go to compete in champs".
Thank you everyone on the feedback,On my next blog post,I will work on the feedback you have given me.
Post a Comment