The day I realised, that the Examiners were not the devils I(and many more students, even today) thought them to be, was the Medicine Practicals and Orals day of the FINAL year exam.
I did my short cases well, I did the long case very well and was happy and went for lunch in a happy mood. My good friend Anky had not done well and was depressed. So, in a sombre mood, we returned from lunch and lighted up ( I was a terrible smoker those days--upto 30 cigarettes per day).
We did not see the examiners pass by.
It was 3 pm by the time I was called and it was time for the examiners' tea. So, I sat in the room waiting while they had tea and biscuits. That over, Two of them lit cigarettes. There were 6 of them sitting in pairs. The first pair were non smokers.
As soon as I sat down, one of the asked me-out of the blue so to speak-"do you smoke?"
I never lie if it is not absolutely essential for preserving my life.
So, I said " yes sir! I do."
He said " not bad. At least you are honest. Now tell me the hazards of smoking".
I started with the mouth and recited a list of about 20 conditions.
He asked "you know all that and you still smoke?"
I had no reply but had a convenient defense at hand. I just looked at the two examiners smoking and back at my examiner.
He laughed and said " Oh! you mean they are smoking. But remember, what your guru does is not always for you to mimic."
Then he plunged into the questions and I answered well and he passed me on to the next pair.
So I knew they also have a sense of humour and are not absolute terrors. They are HUMAN.
As a bonus I got a high 58% (50% being the pass mark.) There was only one first class in the university (60%).
So. now, whenever I hear the students in the family complain about the heartless, cruel examiners, I just smile to myself.
I did my short cases well, I did the long case very well and was happy and went for lunch in a happy mood. My good friend Anky had not done well and was depressed. So, in a sombre mood, we returned from lunch and lighted up ( I was a terrible smoker those days--upto 30 cigarettes per day).
We did not see the examiners pass by.
It was 3 pm by the time I was called and it was time for the examiners' tea. So, I sat in the room waiting while they had tea and biscuits. That over, Two of them lit cigarettes. There were 6 of them sitting in pairs. The first pair were non smokers.
As soon as I sat down, one of the asked me-out of the blue so to speak-"do you smoke?"
I never lie if it is not absolutely essential for preserving my life.
So, I said " yes sir! I do."
He said " not bad. At least you are honest. Now tell me the hazards of smoking".
I started with the mouth and recited a list of about 20 conditions.
He asked "you know all that and you still smoke?"
I had no reply but had a convenient defense at hand. I just looked at the two examiners smoking and back at my examiner.
He laughed and said " Oh! you mean they are smoking. But remember, what your guru does is not always for you to mimic."
Then he plunged into the questions and I answered well and he passed me on to the next pair.
So I knew they also have a sense of humour and are not absolute terrors. They are HUMAN.
As a bonus I got a high 58% (50% being the pass mark.) There was only one first class in the university (60%).
So. now, whenever I hear the students in the family complain about the heartless, cruel examiners, I just smile to myself.
3 comments:
we had our forensic professor[CRIMINAL MEDICINE] a product of armed forces medical college and a major general.we had a class mate with a little slow cerebration.our pathology professor.cracked a joke in the 1st hr .this girl realised it in the next hr which happened to be forensic class.she laughed .result--sheFAILED TWICE IN FORENSIC MEDICINE AND LOST ONE YEAR
Another friend of mine dropped the bone while bthe examiner was asking about it.
result--failed twice in anatomy lost one year
Show respect to your professors and subject (remember the "dead men do tell tales" story?)is the recurring theme in our instruction as students and as these girls violated those norms, they were failed. They used to be so strict those days. No awarding 95% or more first classes than thirds.
Phew! Tough teachers. One of my friends from school is now a Prof in IIT Madras and 'regretfully' fails students (not all of course). Alas, when did the student become the master?
Post a Comment