September 12, 2012

Tomato Patchadi & Tirupati

Today I made Tomato Patcahdi with Vine Ripened Heirloom Organic Tomatoes from our backyard. The tomatoes were very flavorful and the Patchadi reminded me of Tirupati.

Even though I stayed at the hostel for a period, I was fortuante to have Indiratta and Peddamma feeding me for a large part of my B.Tech. I loved both of their Tomato Patchadies and they both had a steady supply of the same for my and my friend contingent's unexpected drop ins and lunch/dinner demands.....

There are certain foods that are inextricably linked to certain people for me. Every time I eat the said food, I remeber them...

Indiratta and peddamma for tomato patchadi and ravva kesari; Peddamma for semiya payasam; Ranga Babai for fruit salad/custard, Durga pinni for Kobbari Lauzu, Ammamma for nuvvula chimmiri, Siva atta for Chakkilalu, Vijji pinni for Panasa pandu/poota rekulu, Subbarao Pedananna for Jeedipappu mitahi, Tatagaru for Kalakhand, Viswam babai for Malai Kaja, Gopal Babai for Gulab Jamoon, Nanna for Mysore Pak, Paala Kamalamma for Ariselu....to name a few....

5 comments:

Poonam Tripathi Singampally said...

Ma's tomato patchadi is very famous in my side of the family too. We have also exported subzi podi prepared by her all the way to Kota and Jaipur.

Reminds me of an incident- the way my brothers eat tomato pachadi it gets over very fast. So I said.let.me make it, I know. After it is done they tasted it - "ismay woh baat nahi hai" :)

Krupa Singampalli said...

I was asked, what about Amma? Well, most of the dishes I make or eat are taught or made by Amma.....However there is one dish that makes Srinivas always remember Amma and then Sudha....onion pakoda!!!! Any time he eats Pakoda, there will be an invariable comment some time later.." aunty makes pakoda really well. Crunchy. Sudha also makes good pakodas. They are not crunchy but still very tasty......"
Followed by, " why don't you learn to make them like that?"

Krupakar said...

I remember Gauri pinni to be maker of exotic dishes those days- soya rice was a favorite. Curd rice muddalu for the kids at old town house was also a fond memory for me, mostly by Pinni. Poonam goes gaga over Durga pinni's dosas. In recent times, Vijaya pinni's specialty was large scale orders made quickly and tastily. Sudha's pakodas are indeed very good, and Krupa's breads were awesome. Poonam in recent times is cracking with breads, pizzas, chats. Mrudula also got off to a good start with a Paneer dish. And of course, I am yet to eat anything less than superlative from amma's hand. All in all, the family is lucky to have consistently talented ladies!

SLN said...

Gastronomic delights galore being recounted fondly.

Krupa Singampalli said...

I would be doing a great disservice to Srinivas if I did not mention his Bagara Rice and Masala Vankaya...Although in recent times Oracle has managed to occupy almost all his time, pre Aditya, he used to make those dishes par excellence, earning kudos from our friends circle..