August 1, 2012

The importance of being Earnest

I watched this 1950's movie adaptation of Oscar Wilde's comedy couple of years back on Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it. Today, I was watching the telugu movie "Ashta Chemma" and the story sounded very familar. About halfway through, I realized this was the telugu adaptation of this comedy play.

Although this is a relatively old movie, I did not see it until now. It was a refreshing, clean comedy, albeit a bit over the top. It was nicely adapted to Telugu tastes. Both the lead actors did great, it was hard to believe it was the first movie for both of them. The thing I liked the most about that movie was the dialogue delivery of all the actors, they were speaking Telugu, not tenglish or tendi or any other mishmash of multiple languages with crazy accents. It was a pleasant watch. Srini Avasarala was impressive, speaking Telugu excellent for an NRI. He reminds me of the comedians of yesteryear, like Relangi and Rajababu.



No comments: