October 24, 2011

Desktop or Laptop?

An article in the NY Times talks about a premium Silicon Valley school that has no computers. Quite a few tech heavyweights are apparently choosing this option for their children. To quote the article (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/technology/at-waldorf-school-in-silicon-valley-technology-can-wait.html?_r=2&hp):


"... the school’s chief teaching tools are anything but high-tech: pens and paper, knitting needles and, occasionally, mud. Not a computer to be found. No screens at all. They are not allowed in the classroom, and the school even frowns on their use at home."


"..the contrarian point of view can be found at the epicenter of the tech economy, where some parents and educators have a message: computers and schools don’t mix."


"This is the Waldorf School of the Peninsula, one of around 160 Waldorf schools in the country that subscribe to a teaching philosophy focused on physical activity and learning through creative, hands-on tasks. Those who endorse this approach say computers inhibit creative thinking, movement, human interaction and attention spans."
The article goes on to say that there is no objective evidence that this approach works better than the default approach, where computers are used to educate and engage children. 
The debate comes down to the term 'engagement': some believe that if the tools to engage children are around (computers), why not use them; while this 'school' of thought believes that 'engagement' in the context of teaching has to be about human interaction. 
Thoughts? Computers for children: good, bad or neutral?

9 comments:

Krupa Singampalli said...

Like it or not, computers are an essential part of our life and they are here to stay. The key is moderation. Am I going to be spending more typing vs writing in the next 10 years? Do I still want Aditya to learn writing? Yes, no matter how much he hates it. Does he need to learn typing? Yes, but by his time, he may be just speaking rather than typing ala Siri.
Computers help in a myriad of ways. It's the parents' role and responsibility that it stays a good servant and does not become a bad master.

SRN said...

The discussion here is about role of computers in school.traditional way of learning tables,additions, subtractions, multiplication and divisions will not only make a student independent of slavery of computers but will also develop logic .I read some where the story of "edu chepalu"greatly enhances the thinking power of a kid,besides providing play.if Obama is talking about Beijing and Bangalore kids and Indians are supposed to be good in maths and computers, whole world is engaging Indians for these tasks,it is a tribute to Indian way of teaching, which has roots in learning Vedas by mouth.I think it is krups who told me that though Americans are good thought leaders, it is Indians who are good in programming.

Krupa Singampalli said...

I have to say, I found the american kids a lot more logical thinking than the Indian ones, where emphasis is on applying than learning. Even at a first grade level, I see the differences in teaching that focuses more on coming up with your own solutions that reading in the textbook. Aditya cannot "prepare" for tests, since the answers cannot be found in the books, even for factual subjects like Geography.
Indians and Chinese may indeed be good at programming. The question is, do we want them to just "program" something that someone else designed, or design something? In the long run, by getting programming tasks, are the Indians in the same category, may be a bit up the food chain, than, garment workers in cambodia who stitch clothes someone else designs,or manufacturing workers who build toys that others design.

I agree that learning to do math without the aid of calculators makes you less dependent on the machines, one has to also consider the fact that why would you want to use your brainpower for something easily accomplished by other means? I may not do large sums in my mind since I started relying on calculators, but if need be I can do it by hand if I understand the concept. I am not grinding pappu the traditional way anymore in a rolu, I am using a gridner, so I can use the time in another productive activity.....

Krupakar said...

I remember an Asimov story where a man of the future discovers that numbers can be added, multiplied, divided without computers and triggers sensation, intrigue & an escalating national situation!

Excessive dependence on computers has reduced at least my memorizing & computing abilities. But I agree they can also be better teaching tools than dull text books in certain cases.

But an unrelated point: Will I ever see Krupa argue the conservative side in any of the SH debates and the others go the modern way? Would make it more interesting...now the lines are so predictable :-) Krupa- Do you ever feel that something shouldn't have changed, and that the traditional view point was better? We should debate that! (No offence, and I often find your POV valid, but I AM curious :-))`

gopal said...

People used to walk upto varanasi.Kasi ki vellina kati ki vellina okate.But by using other means of transport,we have not lessened the importance of legs.Modern gadgets including computers make life more comfortable.A person,intelligent and logical enough to use computers,will definitely use his brain for more important tasks and does'nt make it redundant like appendix.Adaptability to availability has been key to the success of mankind.But there must be checks and balances for addiction and over-dependence.
Oh!Thy computers the doors are open for thee.

Krupa Singampalli said...

Well, I seem to be the only one arguing the liberal viewpoint, otherwise these discussions would get too boring!!!!

Kidding aside, yes, I do tend to argue "for" the modern approach, but that does not imply none of the things old are bad, and should be changed. There are many good things in any culture that should be preserved, but to put a spin on Umbridge's words "tradition for tradition sake should be discouraged." However, there are no absolutes in life. Nothing in life is ever perfect if there is opportunity for improvement, it should be adopted without sacrifising the previous positive qualities.

How about that for a complete non-answer!!!!!

Krupa Singampalli said...

Besides, I may argue completely differently when I am 50+ ( Maa rojullo!!!!). I say that even now, I suppose. (kind of dating myself here!!!! )When we were in college things were so different.....etc etc

SRN said...

KRUPA
Like it or not, computers are an essential part of our life and they are here to stay. The key is moderation.
SRN
Agree
Krupa
I have to say, I found the american kids a lot more logical thinking than the Indian ones, where emphasis is on applying than learning.
Srn
skeptical.
but one thing is clear. average Indian american parent is more conscious and caring about the wards than american parent.may it has roots in strong family system in Indian culture.
Krupa
The question is, do we want them to just "program" something that someone else designed, or design something? In the long run, by getting programming tasks, are the Indians in the same category, may be a bit up the food chain, than, garment workers in cambodia who stitch clothes someone else designs,or manufacturing workers who build toys that others design.
Srn
agree.
great infosys with 1lakh work force has no product of their own,where as even small companies have their own products
the reason i think was our slavery for a long time and missing industrial revolution. Indian economy is not built on slave labor or opium sales.nor do we copy pro to type designs and produce in mass scale.
now we are able to build ICBMs, cryogenic engines and in near future we will catch up in other fields also.
Krupa
I may not do large sums in my mind since I started relying on calculators, but if need be I can do it by hand if I understand the concept
Srn
exactly.
are the present day kids capable.
krups
But I agree they can also be better teaching tools than dull text books in certain cases.
Srn
agree
Gopal
Adaptability to availability has been key to the success of mankind.But there must be checks and balances for addiction and over-dependence.
Srn
very apt
Krupa
that does not imply none of the things old are bad, and should be changed. There are many good things in any culture that should be preserved,
Srn
right from SRM who encouraged us to think logically singampallis are very modernly conservative.

SLN said...

Different voices saying the same thing finally.